Wednesday, June 24, 2009
As you may or may not know, I am an armature artist and have a bunch of 5x7 and 8x10 pieces around the house. Recently, I decided I'd be daring and courageous and I bought a 11X14 canvas. Now, what the heck do I put on it?! The thought came to me this morning when looking at the pictures of Socks on Christo's Facebook page (thank you!); I'll do a painting of the kittens!

I started by collecting pictures of each individual kitten that I have taken over the past week, and the one Christo took and went to work. Right off the bat, the "Socks" I drew was too big and way too far to the right. I had to come up with a different way to sketch the subjects , so I didn't have to constantly erase and risk messing up the canvas. Finally, it dawned on me! TRACING PAPER! I always hated that stuff as a kid because I never traced my artwork, I always drew by sight. But, in times like these it works wonderfully! I drew each kitten on an individual piece of tracing paper, and pieced them together on the canvas.




After I had all the tracing paper lined up in a way that fit to the canvas, I traced the front side and the back side with a graphite pencil. That allowed me to transfer the whole picture to the canvas one time!


AND HERE'S THE FINISHED PAINTING:


From the top right moving clockwise: Belly, Savannah, Monkey, Schrodinger, and Socks


Savannah was the only one not to be looking up at the camera in her picture; and the way it turned out in the painting, she looks kinda sinister. Schrodinger was the only one to pose on his back and the Monkey picture is actually a mirrored image. As for the dream-catcher at the top center, it represents our lost kitten. If you remember, there were actually six kittens born, one being stillborn. As stated in my first post, I started this blog as a way to put my feelings down and remember number four. A few days later, I made a dream-catcher and hung it close to the tree where the kitten rests; therefore, it was only right to include him in the painting.

Here are a couple of other paintings I have displayed around the house. I started to look into creating prints, too! Once that gets underway, I'll let ya'll know and you can let me know if you want any!


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look good, and (of course) I love the one of Socks! There will be plenty more pics of him up on Facebook over time; he's more photogenic than I am! (Oh, and he decided to take a page out of Monkey and Schrodinger's book: He was a "parrot" for hours yesterday!)

Post a Comment

sleepdeprivedtechie@yahoo.com
Visit MyBlogLog and get a signature like this!

Welcome to Missy's Corner

Keep coming back to see updates about Monkey, Savannah, and Kitty! Leave comments if you feel so inclined!

Art Work