Friday, August 21, 2009
That is the only word that could describe this past week. It all started last Thursday when my brother and grandparents came for a visit; the whole week leading up to then, we spent cleaning the house, doing laundry, and giving cats baths all for this very moment. My grandparents were one of the first guests to stay in the house when we bought it and my brother had never seen it. I'd like to think Mister and I have taken the time since my grandparents first visit to add our own little flare and coziness to the house. I was also really nervous that someone would get really bored, which for company is never good.


Monkey lounging while Papa does his exercises


Maga and Eric checking something interesting out on the computer (I think it was Goldendoodles)

Turned out I had nothing to worry about! We spent most of Friday and Saturday "garage-sale"-ing; I found a bunch listed on Craigslist in the area and a few random ones, and boy did we find some amazing stuff! For instance, at one estate sale the homeowners were trying to unload an actual Mellow Mushroom sign! Neither of them could remember how or who they got it from, too; I guess it just appeared one morning!


They also had a really cute table and chairs set that Mister and I picked up for the back porch, and my bro got a leather jacket!



The table could use some work, but for $20 I wasn't turning it down!

Friday afternoon and into the early evening, My grandparents, brother and I decided to check out the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. I have lived in Georgia now for four years, and didn't know Atlanta had a botanical garden until that horrific walkway collapse back in December; needless to say, I had my reservations. But once inside the orchid house, those feelings of doubt were blow through the glass roof!





I was so inspired by all the colors that everything at home was more beautiful then ever! It was like a fog was lifted from my mind's eye and everything became potential for artwork! We got an some amazing origami roses from one of Mister's friend that came alive for me! I set up a scene in the bonus room and painted my little heart out!


This was the first time in a very long time I did a still life scene like this. My roses turned out a little abstract, but the candlestick holders were brilliant!

After such an amazing session, I wanted to go back to the gardens to paint the orchids, but realized that my art supplies bucket wasn't appropriate. Up until now, I've been keeping my paints, canvases, brushes and other supplies in an empty kitty litter box (yeah I know...).



I had the idea to decoupage the box with pictures of my other paintings to make it look a little nicer. Unfortunately, websites suggest you don't use pictures printed on an inkjet printer because the colors will run. So I scratched that idea and decided to do a ribbon pattern on the bucket instead.



I still have a little ways to go before I consider it finished but you get the gist!

And the inspiration didn't stop there! When I came home from running errands yesterday my eye caught glimpse of a huge spider web! This thing was at least three feet in diameter! Then I saw the spider:



I ran back inside after taking these and googled "big yellow spider" and found out the spider is commonly known as the "Yellow Garden Spider"; who would have thought!

Well, its time to get our weekend started! Till next time from Mister, Missy, Kitty, Savannah, and Monkey:
"HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

sleepdeprivedtechie@yahoo.com
Visit MyBlogLog and get a signature like this!

Welcome to Missy's Corner

Keep coming back to see updates about Monkey, Savannah, and Kitty! Leave comments if you feel so inclined!

Art Work